I really shouldn't have told everyone that things were going so well regarding potty training. I think Carrie even told me a while ago not to blog about potty training because it could backfire. Sure enough, we have hit a wall. The poor thing is having a horrible time going now and I feel lost all of the sudden. She waits and dances around until it is too late. I don't know what happened. I think something must have happened one time this weekend when we weren't in the bathroom with her and she is now scared (just a guess). Despite TONS of positive reinforcement and cajoling she still will not go. I am trying to remain calm and act like it isn't a big deal but this is becoming a challenge without Mark at home. Mia runs to the bathroom every ten minutes or so saying she needs to go but then decides not to go. Could it be a UTI? I have been lugging Ashley with me on those trips since I have to hold her so much at this point and it is no fun to help Mia one handed. If anyone has some helpful advice about helping a toddler who refuses to use the potty, I would appreciate it!!!!
Monday, January 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Mia likes the attention you're giving her when you take her to the bathroom. She may see it as "it's taking attention away from Ashley and more on me". Can you have her go at it alone possibly? Just a suggestion.
Love,
Mindy
Just give it time and yes, keep taking her every time she says she has to go. It's a miserable time, but eventually it will pay off. Evan was my big "dancer" trying not to go (he STILL does this). I would sit him on the toilet and either tell him a story or tickle his back (i.e. "criss cross, applesauce") or whisper something in his ear to help him relax and then all of a sudden he would go. One more suggestion for pooping: (this gets pretty graphic so you might want to squint while reading it) By "stimulating" the rectum, it can make her poop. Just try wiping her butt even though she hasn't gone and see if this makes her "perform." haha! Okay, now one suggestion for "tinkle" -- try putting her hand in warm water while she's on the toilet OR, I've actually tossed a small amount of warm water on my boys' "doodles" to make them go. I realize Mia doesn't have a "doodle," but you might try the warm water trick anyway. This worked GREAT for Evan when I KNEW he had to pee but just wouldn't go.
Signed,
The Most Expert Potty Trainer Carrie (cough, cough)
I really don't know what is wrong with you and Carrie but I PAID a baby sitter extra to potty train both of my kids so I dont have a clue how it happened and it was also very stress free for me. When people say potty training I just smile and nod.
love auntie deb
Post a Comment