Saturday, December 15, 2007

NEVER Leave Home Without Quarters


There is humor in the occasions that seem, at the time, to be horrible situations. The other day I had to run a few errands. First I needed to go to OfficeMax so...I loaded the girls into the van and headed on down the road. Ashley promptly started crying the moment we arrived at the store. I walked in and the heads turned to see where the loud protests of a baby were coming from. I tried to make the best of the situation and shrug it off and walked to the back of the store with the girls in the cart to get something printed. Mia started begging to get out of the cart and Ashley was still crying. The man helping me just looked at me like I was a nuisance but what else was I to do? I needed his help. I then started pushing the cart back and forth to try to lull Ashley into a happy state. Mia's little head was going back and forth because I was pushing so hard. Then Mia saw something in the next aisle that she wanted so I spent the next few minutes trying to get her settled down too. This went on until we left the store. Shew...I was finally out. But...Mia didn't want to get into her car seat and it was raining and VERY cold. Patience seemed to be no where in site when I needed it the most. On to Meijer we proceeded. Once again Ashley started crying as I carried the car seat into the store. I didn't make it three steps into the store when Mia saw the candy vending machine in the lobby of the store. Pooh! I realized at that point that I didn't have a quarter and wondered how I could quickly change the situation to avoid an outburst from Mia. I wasn't able to come up with anything fast enough so Mia started throwing a fit after I told her I didn't have any money to buy her favorite candy snack (Daddy would have had the money and saved the day but he wasn't with us). Mia proceeded to fall apart in the lobby where the cement walls magnified every noise and I quickly lost control. Ashley was crying, Mia was screaming, and I didn't have any options. I tried to pick Mia up off of the floor to no avail. I thought for sure I was going to find myself on the news that night as that mother who abused her child in plain view of everyone at the store. I wasn't that bad but it was very embarrassing. I was dragging Mia across the floor by one arm because she wouldn't stand up and holding Ashley in the car seat with the other hand. I was trying to get Mia out of the path of everyone coming in and out but only succeeded in drawing attention to us. I talked to her through clenched teeth and finally put her in the cart. I realized then that this was going to be a difficult visit to Meijer. The ladies at the Deli just looked at me with pity as both girls cried. I just wished I could get in and out with everyone noticing me. Not to happen that day. I ended up taking Ashley out of the car seat and tried to hold her and push the cart at the same time. I looked ridiculous all hunched over. It continued on like this until I gave in and decided to go home. I checked out and don't you know Mia spotted the little horse ride that only takes a penny to ride. THANK GOD! I had a penny. It ended up being the longest horse ride I can remember because Ashley was still crying and I was trying to get her back into the car seat so we could go home. By this point I was drenched in sweat and was praying for relief. Needless to say I learned my lesson to NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT QUARTERS IN MY PURSE. You never know when they will be needed.

No comments:

A Few Fun Pictures