Friday, April 4, 2008

911, Ambulance, & ER - OH MY!

I have never had to dial 911 before and I hope to NEVER do it again. Tuesday I did have to call 911. Mia is going through a stage where she gets up and down a lot during meals and this day was no exception. Mia was eating a raw baby carrot when she tripped and fell down which caused her to choke on a few pieces of the chewed up carrot. At first I thought it was fine and she would just work it out but after fifteen minutes, I started to worry. She was inconsolable and wouldn't stop crying. I then noticed that her chest was as hard as a rock and that is when I decided to call 911. They are so polite on the phone and I believe that I kept the operator on the phone longer than I needed to but she was nice about it all. It was surreal and all I could hope was that Mia would be okay and that they would arrive in time. We heard the sirens and Mia KNEW they were coming to her house. I felt bad and wanted to stop the process but I realized we needed to have someone help us. Before long there were SIX big men in my family room staring at us. Ugh! SIX! They seemed enormous as we sat on the couch looking up at them. I was intimidated and I can only imagine Mia felt the same way. We crawled into the ambulance and went to the hospital. I'll fast forward this story now. We were sent home and Tuesday night was VERY long and I didn't feel comfortable about how Mia was doing so Wednesday morning I took her to the pediatrician who promptly sent me for X-rays and before we knew it, we were on our way to Cincinnati's Children's Hospital. No one really knew what was REALLY going on but the X-rays showed that something wasn't working properly in her lungs. Fast forward again. Mia had to be "put under" and the Ear, Nose, and Throat Dr. used a scope and instrument to retrieve a piece of carrot out of the opening of Mia's right lung that was 95% blocked.

It was a crazy three days but we are very thankful that she is doing well now. Here are a few pictures from our "adventure".
Mia watched a lot of television and she was a little nervous when she first arrived.

Mia in her hospital gown.

Lot's of coloring while we waited for almost five for the procedure.

Here is Mia in recovery which didn't go so well. :(

2 comments:

Carrie White said...

That poor little thing! They seem so small when put in a "big person" situation. Thanks, though, for the new way to get my children to behave at the dinner table. "Mia had to go to the HOSPITAL because she was goofing off while eating. Do you want to end up there?" I will use this every day for the next 5 years. haha

Anonymous said...

Hi, Okay I am going to try this one more time...
What is it with carrots and The Heibel's?
I enjoy your blog Robbon it is the only way I can keep up on yours and Carrie's little ones.

A Few Fun Pictures